When creating voice and tone guidelines, keep in mind these best practices:
- A company is like a person. The voice the company speaks with should be a voice that the target audience wants to talk to.
- Consider the personality. Every company likes different metaphors, but pick one that seems appropriate. For example:
- If your company was a car, what kind would it be?
- If your company was played by a movie star, who would it be?
- If your company was a restaurant, where would it be?
- Another way to ask this question is what car would the target audience drive, what movie star would they want to befriend, and what restaurant would they picture themselves at?
- Play out actual conversations. Identify the questions the customer/client/user would ask, and how you can best answer it.
- Play with different archetypes.